India is presenting its case at the International Court of Justice, seeking cancellation of the death sentence of Kulbhushan Jadhav – an Indian national, accused of spying by Pakistan. On Day 3 of the case hearing, India replied to Pakistan. Kulbhushan Jadhav was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of espionage and terrorism in 2017. India had approached the Hague-based International Court of Justice for “egregious” violation of the provisions of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, 1963, by Pakistan in the case. The International Court of Justice had halted his execution on India’s appeal pending the final verdict by it.
Vidhi Bhawana Foundation invites all the law scholars, Professionals, diplomats and students and members of the Civil society to present their views on these matters. The seminar participants and panelists will exchange ideas and discuss the functions and role of the International Court in the contemporary world.
Background and objective:
How strong can be the ICJ in giving relief to Kulbhushan Jadhav (hereafter KBJ) and his family? This provoked question of fact and law has engaged the attention of many legal practitioners, students, scholars and diplomats; and now it is ever more felt in India that the effectiveness of ICJ is highly critical for global peace and progress in the 21st century. In the case of KBJ, the ICJ- being the prima facie satisfied about the merits of India’s case and the availability of its jurisdiction over the dispute- has granted interim/ provisional measures. i.e; the stay of execution of KBJ by invoking the provisions of the aforesaid articles. India and Pakistan, both are signatories to the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations 1963. This provides consular assistance to their nationals who are facing trials in other countries and unequivocally and compulsorily conferring jurisdiction of the ICJ. In most identical fact situations, i.e. In the Lagrand Case and in the case of Avena & Other Mexican National , the ICJ has exercised its jurisdiction, stayed the execution and directed the review and retrial. The contemporary case of KBJ is a test case for the ICJ to dispel the impression that International Law is the disappearing point of jurisprudence. Vidhi Bhawana Foundation invites all the law scholars, Professionals, diplomats and students and members of the Civil society to present their views on these matters. The seminar participants and panelists will exchange ideas and discuss the functions and role of the International Court in the contemporary world.
Certificates will be Given to all Participants as well as Best Research will be awarded.
Themes of the Seminar:
- The International Court of Justice and International legal system.
- The Role of the ICJ for enhancing the Rule of Law.
- Human Rights and Consular access.
- ICJ and Human Rights.
- India and ICJ in 21st Century.
- Critical analysis of KBJ’s case & Role of International law..
- KBJ’s Case, The LAGRAND case and other relevant alike cases; a crytical and comparative analytical summary/ commentary.
- The ICJ and the UN; relationship of ICJ with other UN organs.
- The ICJ contribution to International laws.
- Article 36 of ICJ Statute.
- Diplomatic and consular relationships and the protection of diplomatic relations in 21st century in International law regime.
Any other relevant/ contemporary issue.
Malviya Hall University of Lucknow Old Campus
13th-14th March, 2019
- For Students pursuing LLB (3 years and hons.) and LLM or any other post grduate level courses having relevant understanding of International law (International relations/International politics/diplomacy) -1200 INR (For Co-Authorship-2000 INR).
- For professionals- 1500 INR (Co- Authorship- 2500 INR).
Last date for abstract submission:
To Know the Complete details and download official brochure : Click here.
- There Shall be a seperate technical session for hindi participants/presenters.
- Papers are accepted in both English and Hindi languages.
- Applicants who are resident of outside Uttar Paradesh may present their papers through Audio-Visual presentations. if in any case (Medical reason, Academic examinations or any other genuine reason. Certificates will be issued if a candidate fullfill all the above requirements.
Mail your queries at- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bhawana Joshi: +91-9412977430 (Whatsapp number)
- Punit Deshwal-7060043023,7060344409
This Post has Been Submitted By Bhawana Joshi.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!